When it comes to developing a cross-channel strategy for your business, it’s crucial to take advantage of the incredible reach that social media platforms have.
With over 4 billion people on social media in 2021, it’s more important than ever to understand every platform as that number continues to rise in the following year.
We’ve got you covered with 100+ social media statistics to help guide your online marketing efforts in 2022.
Social Media Statistics
- Over 4.48 billion people are using social media in 2021. That’s a 13.13% increase from the 3.96 billion in 2020.
- The number of social media users is projected to increase to 4.41 billion by 2025.
- On average, users spend 2 hours and 24 minutes on social media every day.
- 50% of users record personal milestones on social media. People love to share their accomplishments, so why not create a social media post that encourages followers to share their achievements. And don’t forget to respond to each response; let the customer know there’s a real person behind that keyboard!
- The average internet user owns 8.3 social media accounts, but many of these lie dormant.
- The most popular networks, ranked by the number of users, are Facebook, YouTube, WhatsApp, and Instagram.
- 85% of marketers believe that short-form videos are the most effective social media content. Whether it’s Instagram videos, Facebook Reels, or TikTok, more people engage with videos than any other form of social media content.
- The continent with the most social media growth in Asia with a 16.98% increase in 2019-2020.
- 69% of marketers rely on social media to increase brand awareness, followed by increasing web traffic, growing an audience, and promoting content.
- 49% of social media users will unfollow a brand after experiencing poor customer service or receiving a low-quality product.
- 82% of marketers repurpose their content across various social media platforms. Gary Vaynerchuk put together this list of taking one piece of content and turning it into 64 pieces of content in a day. It doesn’t matter if you use old blog posts, Instagram photos, or popular tweets. You need to repurpose your content.
- YouTube and Facebook are the platforms most used for B2B research.
Facebook marketing, now Meta Marketing, is changing once again.
Often known for its precise audience drill-down, Meta is removing audience targeting for the following audiences: health causes (e.g., breast cancer awareness), sexual orientation (e.g., LGBTQ+), religious practices and groups (e.g., Catholic Church), and political beliefs, social issues, causes, organizations, or figures (e.g., political party or political candidate).
An often overlooked aspect of Facebook marketing is the development of Facebook Groups. They are one of the best ways to directly connect, communicate, and engage with your raving fans online.
Despite Facebook’s constant evolution in marketing, the social media giants continue to be a heavy-hitter in the online marketing world. Use these social media stats to help decide what Facebook marketing strategy will work best for you and your business.
- Facebook is home to 2.7 billion monthly active users.
- Facebook sees 3.4+ billion monthly visitors, 512 million from the US.
- 69% of American adults are using Facebook.
- 63% of Facebook users are male.
- Facebook’s popularity with teenagers has dropped from 71% in 2015 to 67%. Facebook isn’t the trendy social media marketing choice anymore. Still, the older users are more engaged and less likely to leave the site.
- Over 98% of users access the site from a mobile device.
- On average, users spend 58 minutes on the site each day.
- In Q3 2021, Facebook had 1.93 billion daily active users.
- Facebook accounts for almost half (45%) of all social media visits each month.
- Facebook has an advertising audience of over 2 billion people. Learn more about Facebook audiences to drill down and target the right people for your business. No other social media site features the same ability to target customers.
- The ideal title for a Facebook ad only has 4 words.
- Facebook videos should be between 2-5 minutes for optimal engagement. Save the longer stuff for webinars or Youtube. Users are scrolling through their feed so create something interesting enough to capture their attention while short enough they won’t want to scroll down any further.
- 52% of Americans get their news from Facebook, making it the dominant social media news source.
- 75% of high-income earners use Facebook.
- There are now more than 10 million groups on Facebook, and 1.4 billion people use Groups each month.
Twitter is notorious for being one of the more difficult social media platforms to get engagement. Most users only follow 5 businesses which means you need to find a way to stand out.
Take Wendy’s Twitter, for example. Rather than simple advertising, the social media manager does a tremendous job creating silly tweets that do not always come back to an item on their menu.
When building your Twitter marketing strategy, the first thing you need to do is audit your competition. What are they doing well? What are they missing out on? Use this information to your business’s advantage.
Secondly, differentiate yourself. Don’t just copy what your competitors do on Twitter: find your own space. Be funny and engaging, and be unique and informational.
Whatever that combination is, maximize your opportunities by understanding how these social media stats affect your business.
- Twitter is home to 211 million monetizable daily active users.
- The platform has 2 billion monthly global visitors, about 535 million from the US.
- 30% of Twitter’s user base is female.
- 41% of Twitter users earn a household income of about $75,000.
- 79% of marketers plan to invest in Twitter Spaces in 2022. Twitter Spaces is live audio where you and 11 other people can connect to chat. You can even share tweets within the space. Use this opportunity to make yourself a thought leader by connecting with other thought leaders in your area of business expertise.
- Over 900 tweets are sent every second.
- In the first weeks of pandemic restrictions, there were 500,000 tweets about cooking or baking each day.
- 3 in 4 B2B business marketers use Twitter.
- 85% of small businesses say providing customer service on Twitter is essential.
- Companies that use Twitter for customer service see a 19% increase in customer satisfaction. Sometimes customers don’t want to call or email you when it’s just as easy to send over a direct message or tweet. The bonus is that the more customer engagement you provide, the more potential customers will see that.
- 92% of companies send more than one tweet per day.
- 69% of users who follow a company have bought their product, and 93% plan to do so.
- Advertisers spent over $1.14 billion on Twitter in the third quarter of 2021.
- Carousel ads saw a 15% increase in click-through rate than single-asset ads.
- 92% of Americans are familiar with Twitter even if they don’t have an account.
Instagram is a photo-sharing social media platform that requires different finessing to build the right business audience.
The first thing to note: unless you have over 10k followers or have been verified, you cannot upload direct links to your products or services. This limits the type of marketing you can perform.
For the best results on Instagram, check out our ultimate guide to Instagram marketing.
- Instagram has over 1 billion active users, and 500 million use Instagram Stories daily.
- 51% of Instagram users are female.
- Just 1% of Instagram members use only that social media platform.
- 96 million of Instagram’s monthly users come from the United States.
- Posts that use 9 hashtags see the most engagement. Use a service like Display Purposes to help identify which hashtags relate best to what you’re creating and attract new followers.
- In 2021, the most popular hashtag was “#love,” followed by “#instagood,” “#photooftheday,” “#fashion,” and “#beautiful.”
- 81% of users use Instagram to decide if they want to purchase a product.
- 90% of people follow a business on Instagram.
- Carousel posts receive the most engagement with an average rate of 1.94%, followed by regular photos with 1.74% and videos with 1.45%
- 1.16 billion people can be reached through Instagram advertising.
- 58% of marketers plan to utilize Instagram Reels in 2022. Once again, video works. Use reels for product showcases, advertisements, and testimonials for the best results.
- Over half of Gen Z and Millennials use Instagram.
- The average Instagram post receives 285 comments.
For a more professional social media presence, LinkedIn is the place to be.
And while you probably scroll LinkedIn a lot less than the big three (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram), LinkedIn generates leads 227% more effectively than Facebook and Twitter.
One of the best ways to generate those leads is by building connections with other like-minded business people by developing interesting content, utilizing popular hashtags, and engaging with other people’s posts.
The following social media stats should provide a starting point for developing a successful LinkedIn marketing strategy.
- LinkedIn is 19 years old as of 2022, making it the oldest social media network.
- LinkedIn has nearly 800 million members in over 200 countries and territories.
- A majority of LinkedIn users (80%) are those driving business decisions. LinkedIn is where you want to be to connect to other business professionals. Create content that informs and educates that audience.
- Worldwide, LinkedIn has 33 offices and 16,000 employees.
- The platform serves 24 languages.
- 120,000 schools have a LinkedIn page.
- Altogether, members have listed 38,000 skills.
- 45 million people search for jobs on LinkedIn every week.
- Four members are hired via LinkedIn every minute.
- 40% of users change their title, job, or industry every four years.
- Bill Gates wrote five of the ten most-read and engaged-with articles in 2020.
- There are 15,000 Enterprise customers.
- 77 job applications are sent every second and 200 million every month.
- LinkedIn is the #1 rated platform for B2B lead generation. Ads on LinkedIn offer 2x-5x higher return on ad spend, which is better than most other social media platforms. Identify what posts your connections like to engage with and use those for ideas to create ads.
As the second-largest search engine on the planet, Youtube is essential to improving your brand’s SEO.
In fact, Youtube videos frequently show up on top of paid ads, shopping, and maps when performing Google searches. That’s massive when fighting for those difficult-to-rank keywords.
Many first-time Youtube creators face one problem: developing informative quality content that looks great and sounds clear.
Our suggestion is to invest in a high-quality microphone before a camera, as your phone’s camera is more than likely enough to produce clear video (unless you’re using a flip phone).
Another small editing tip is to make sure you cut every 6 seconds. That means 6 seconds of talking, then maybe a graphic or different clip, and onto the next. You’ll be surprised how big of a difference these edits can make.
Don’t just put up any video clips on Youtube; make sure they are SEO-friendly and unique. Find your angle and run with it.
- YouTube sees over 8.5 billion users each month, 1.6 billion from the US.
- Users over 18 spend over 40 minutes on the platform each day.
- A majority (94%) of people using a streaming service on their television watch a YouTube video.
- YouTube is the second largest search engine. Don’t overlook that if your company wants to rank for SEO, you need to have a Youtube presence. The best part, use those videos for multiple pieces of content as well. One video into numerous other social media posts, blog posts, heck, even a podcast.
- Views of videos with “home office” in the title increased by 210% in March of 2020.
- Videos about home workouts saw views increase by 515% in early 2020.
- 72% of adults reported using YouTube for fitness in 2020.
- 70% of users have bought from a brand after seeing it on YouTube.
- Youtube is projected to reach 2.8 million users by 2025.
- 44% of marketers plan to use YouTube for the first time in 2022.
- YouTube makes up 25% of all worldwide traffic.
- 54% of audiences want marketers to produce more video content. People love Youtube and want to see you make engaging videos that make them laugh, make them think, or make them learn something.
Snapchat users aren’t looking for traditional ads or videos when online. Instead, they want to see behind-the-scenes footage and the unpolished version of your brand.
If you make a product, this is the perfect place to show how it’s made or show off the employees at your workplace.
A couple of other benefits to marketing on Snapchat is there isn’t as much competition on the service since so many brands focus on the big three. Plus, if a user adds you as a friend, they will always see your videos on their feed.
While developing content on Snapchat is a bit more complicated than Twitter or Facebook, your business still has an untapped market waiting to be engaged.
- Snapchat has more than 300 million daily users worldwide.
- India has the largest share of users at 115.95 million.
- It would take 10 years to view the photos saved on the app within the last hour.
- 200 million users have used the app’s augmented reality feature. If you have the money and technological savviness to utilize Snapchat’s augmented reality feature, then do it. Snapchat has a simple-to-use interface that allows users to create memorable, interactive experiences for your brand’s followers.
- 69% of teens say they use Snapchat.
- As of September 2021, the longest snap streak has lasted 2,146 days.
- Over 75% of people aged 13-34 in the US, UK, Australia, France, and the Netherlands use Snapchat.
- 2 million lenses have been created by Snapchat users.
- 61% of Snapchat’s users are female.
- Snapchat users spend an average of 30 minutes or more on the app every day.
- 2.1 million snaps are created every minute.
- 57% of Snapchat’s shared content is videos.
TikTok is more than just viral dances and quotable memes.
For example, cooking TikTok is massive as people love to see folks create delicious-looking dishes. There are also a variety of individual influencers that offer financial advice, life hacks, and other quick tips.
While it’s possible to create a brand TikTok that goes viral, our suggestion would be to instead find influencers that can highlight your brand to their followers. Seek out influencers that have mid-tier popularity in your business space (i.e., 1,000-10,000 followers).
You don’t have to be a TikToker to maximize the social media platform’s marketing power. Think outside of the box, build connections with already established influencers, and watch your marketing machine grow.
- The original version of the app took just 200 days to develop.
- TikTok has been downloaded 2.6 billion times worldwide.
- In 2020, TikTok saw more downloads than any other social media platform.
- TikTok was downloaded 62 million times in January of 2021.
- TikTok has an estimated 1 billion active users.
- A majority of TikTok users are 18-24 years old. Depending on the key demographic of your business’s audience, TikTok might not be the best choice for you. Think about your target audience before taking the leap (and spending money) into TikTok.
- Over half (51%) of users are men.
- TikTok is opened 8 times per day by an average user.
- 2 in 5 TikTok users come from families with household incomes higher than $100,000.
- 83% of TikTok users have posted a video.
- 90% of users access the app daily.
- 42% of TikTok’s revenue comes from the United States.
- Brands are responsible for creating 3.7% of the platform’s content. That’s not a lot that really highlights the benefits of using other people to advertise your products. Focus your creative juices on the different social media platforms while leveraging influencers’ brands to elevate your business.
Clubhouse is an invite-only social media platform where industry leaders have conversations about their life, hobbies, and work.
You might not have a Clubhouse invite, and the jury is still out on whether or not it’s going to be a stable platform.
If you think this is similar to Twitter Spaces, you are correct. Very similar, and there are rumors that Meta will be rolling out a similar service soon.
Our recommendation is to not stress too much about Clubhouse just yet if you don’t have a presence on any of the other social media platforms. There is still a lot to learn, and there isn’t any evidence that Clubhouse will stand the test of time like Twitter or fall into oblivion like Google Plus.
- The number of registered Clubhouse users jumped from 2 million to 6 million between January and February 2021. The user base is growing as Clubhouse members can now invite two friends to join them on the service. But without complete open access, exclusivity still limits the number of ears to your product.
- Clubhouse has 2 million weekly users.
- The app was valued at $1 billion in February 2021. With this valuation, it is now considered a Unicorn startup. Other Unicorns include Uber and Airbnb.
- Over 180 organizations and venture capitalists have helped Clubhouse raise over $10 million.
- Clubhouse is available in 154 countries.
- Users spend an average of 11-22 hours on the app every week.
- As of April 2021, Clubhouse had reached over 13 million worldwide downloads.
- 42.9% of marketers say they have gained business from the platform. Although it’s a smaller user base, marketers are experiencing success on Clubhouse. This might result from communicating directly with industry leaders rather than customers.
- The app is most prevalent in Germany, Japan, and the UK outside of the US.
- In five months, Clubhouse’s share price jumped over $25.
- 86.2% of marketers believe that Clubhouse is a promising marketing channel.
- Notable Clubhouse users include Elon Musk, Drake, and Oprah Winfrey.
Need help growing your social media? Reach out to The Loop Marketing.
Our team of experts is adept at developing cross-channel strategies that elevate your social media strategy to help you connect with customers both current and future.
Reach out to The Loop Marketing today to get started.